Wednesday, 30 December 2009

Not Another Nutty Date Movie













Ok, another Christmas eating traditional, wonderful, but oh, so heavy, Finnish Christmas food for three days in a row is behind me! I spent Christmas with my Dad, as usual, and it is he, who always does all the cooking for Christmas. I only have to move from the sofa to the kitchen table and eat! :) I had promised to bake us a cake, maybe a date and nut cake I had baked earlier in December, but in the end had no time to do it and ended up buying us a lovely bûche de Noël complete with a little, green macaron artistically positioned on top. That bûche with Mövenbick's rose champagne ice cream was simply divine!! 

My recipe today is, however, not for a Christmas log, but that date and nut cake, but before that I would like to give  a virtual Season's Greeting to all my food blogging friends out there in the blogosphere in the form of a list of ten novels with a food in their title. I compiled this list as a part of a longer list for a reading challenge I'm taking part in next year & thought some of you might also find it useful. If you want to see my whole list for the challenge, it is here.


-Aimee Bender: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

-Laura Esquivel: Like Water for Chocolate

-Joanne Harris: Chocolat

-Joanne Harris: Five Quarters of the Orange

-Lauren Liebenberg: The Volumtuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam

-Kate O'Brien: The Land of Spices

-Gaile Parkin: Baking Cakes in Kigali

-Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows: The Guernsay Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

-Rosie Wilde: Life Is Too Short to Frost a Cupcake

-Jeanette Winterson: Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit


Date Nut Cake

Original recipe published in "Afternoon Tea - Iltapäivän teehetki" and modified by Cinnamonda.

2 dl boiling water
2 dl dates, cut into small pieces
2 dl nuts (I used cashews), in pieces (there were no nuts mentioned in the recipe, obviously a printing error...)
100 g butter  (or margarine)
2 dl sugar (I used brown sugar)
3 dl wheat flour (it says 3 2/3 dl in the recipe, but how an earth do I mesure 2/3 dl??? and at least in my case, the batter really needed 3 dl flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tps salt
1 tps vanilla sugar
1 egg

1. Preheat the oven to 175 Centigrade.
2. Butter a bread tin, or you may use slips of baking paper to cover the bottom and sides of the tin. That is what I most often do instead of buttering the tin, when the tin is rectangular.
3. Put the dates (that have been cut into pieces) into a bowl. Pour the boiling water on top of them & let them be for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes add the butter & mix until it melts.
5. In another bowl mix all the dry incredients. Add the egg & the date-water-butter -mixture. Mix.
6. Pour the batter into the tin.
7. Bake 45-60 minutes.
8. Let cool a little before slicing the cake.

A few days after I had baked this cake I did another, where I substituted dates with coctail cherries. I liked that version even better than the one with dates.

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks marvelous! What a great combo!

Best wishes for 2010!

Cheers,

Rosa

farida said...

Sounds like a very delicious cake. Looks great too. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy New Year!

Sophie said...

What a feasty & georgous cake!! So, full of lovelyness,...

white on rice couple said...

What a delicious and wonderful nut cake for the holidays! It's been really cold here lately and your cake with a cup of hot coffee is perfect!

Happy Holidays to you Tiina and Happy New year! Miss you lots and hope your 2010 continues to be delicious and exciting!
xoxo,
diane and todd

Kate/Kajal said...

I love dates, and dates in a cake is just perfect !

Wishing you a fabulous 2010 :)

LOSER PAUL said...

Hello! :)

Tiina said...

Thanks, Rosa & same to you!

Happy New Year, Farida! The cake tasted very good!

Sophie, yes, it was a very nice cake & so easy to bake!

Thank you so much, Diane & Todd! It's been freezing cold here lately, so I'm definitely for a slice of cake with a cup of something hot!

Kajal, thank you! Dates in a cake is surely a good combination. :)

Paul, hello to you, too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Greetings,
Tiina

Anya said...

I now know what I'm reading in the arrived 2010! Thank you, lady! :)

Chocolate Freckles said...

This looks amazing!! mmmm perfect with a nice cup of coffee!! Yum!