Wednesday, 15 July 2009

Who Needs a Knight in Shining Armour?

Sometimes things don't work out the way one wants. This time it was nothing major, just a Boston cake (a kind of cinnamon bun cake) that ended up all lopsided and funny looking. I really love Boston cake! Every time I bake one it brings back memories of my maternal Grandmother and my Mother. My Granny was a great baker, my Mom really did not like cooking or baking that much, but they both could bake a great Boston cake. And it was fun, as a little girl, to help either one to spread out to dough, butter it, then sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon, and finally to roll it. I especially liked to roll the dough! Next to eating the cake (always with a class of cold milk), rolling the dough was the best! :) So, I wanted to share with you my Boston cake recipe, but, well, my poor little cake really was no showcase! It tasted great, but looked a little sad, and all too shy to be photographed. :)

But, but...

After two days of eating my way through my lopsided cake I realised that there was another recipe I could share with you all. And a lopsided Boston cake, or any yeast-based sweed bread, f. ex. challah, or even toast would be perfect for this recipe! I desided to use the rest of my cake to make some Poor Knights, a really tasty Finnish dessert, and the perfect way to use any left over white bread. (And it does not matter, if the bread has dried up a little, actually dry bread is preferred for this recipe.)

Poor Knights

Makes a nice dessert for 2, or a big treat for 1.

4 slices of sweet bread, or white bread like toast
1 egg
some milk
cinnamon & sugar
oil/butter for frying

1. Break the egg into a shallow bowl/soup plate and mix it slightly. Pour some milk into another bowl/soup plate. Take some cinnamon & sugar & mix them on a plate. It is useful to arrange these plates into a row for step 3.
2. Warm some oil (I used rapeseed oil, the traditionalists would ude butter) on a pan.
3. Take one slice of bread at a time & using your fingers put it into the egg mixture, so that both sides get a thin egg coating.
4. Repeat with the plate with milk.
5. Repeat with the plate with the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
6. Fry in the pan from both sides.
7. Serve the Poor Knights warm with some (strawberry) jam (and whipped cream) -and a class of cold milk :)

ps. And just in case it you need it, Poor Knights are the perfect comfort food!

6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great recipe! I love reusing food!

Cheers,

Rosa

Ana Powell said...

Loved your recipe.
Its a bubble and squeak sweet version recipe.
Great x

anya said...

Aren't these knights (why poor, btw?) is a royal version of a french toast??? I already love them. :)

Tiina said...

Hi Rosa, Ana and Anya! Thanks for your comments. And Anya, some do in fact call them rich knights, if they are served with cream and jam. :) They are "poor", however, because originally this is a recipe to use stale/dried bread.

Greetings,
Tiina

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Have a great week!

Cheers,

Rosa

Tiina said...

Thanks Rosa! Have a great week you, too!

Greetings,
Tiina