Friday, 19 June 2009

Old Porvoo

Some time ago I spent a day in Porvoo, a town some 50 kms from Helsinki. Porvoo, which got its town rights in the 14th century, is one of the six towns established in Finland in the Middle Ages.

In addition to its history, Porvoo is renown for chocolate. There is not only one, but two chocolate factories in Porvoo, and for almost anyone visiting the town, some chocolate is on the buying list!
Brunberg has a shop in the old town and a factory shop a little farther away from the town centre. Pieni suklaatehdas (=Little Chocolate Factory) has their factory and shop in the old town. Brunberg's chocolates are more main stream, whereas Pieni suklaatehdas specializes in making hand made chocolate truffles and selling a selection of quality
chocolate bars. The brands available include Valrhona and Amadei among others. I especially like Little Chocolate Factory's rose truffles, blueberry truffles being no 2 on my list. The picture above shows my little, tasty souvenirs! :)

Below are some pictures I took in the old part of town. The first picture shows the building housing Pieni suklaatehdas. And if you are wondering where is everybody, why are the streets totally empty? Well, I must tell you that the weather that day was horrible! Cold (+6 in the morning and it was already beginning of June!!) and rainy!





I am listening to Il mio canto libero by Laura Pausini and Juanes.

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A beautiful place! Thanks for the interesting post!

Cheers,

Rosa

maybelle's mom said...

what a charming town. also thanks for coming by my place, too.

5 Star Foodie said...

I would love the visit here and sample some chocolates! The old part of town is so beautiful!

anya said...

Tiina, the pictures are enigmatic! It seems there is so much going on empty streets, despite the fact there is nobody to be seen. But perhaps it's this 'desert-ness' that lures me into wondering 'what's there?'...Especially, what's there behind the Pieni suklaatehdas walls? :)

Cinnamonda said...

Rosa, yes, Porvoo old town is beautiful. I'm glad you liked my post.

Glad to see you around again, Maybelle's mom!

Thanks for visiting my blog 5 star foodie! If you ever do visit, you really should sample the chocolates! :)

Anya, it must be all the centuries of history! And boy, would you like Pieni suklaatehdas! :) Their shop is propably the smallest chocolate shop in the world. Three persons is a crowd there. You can see the factory behind a class wall from the shop.

Greetings,
Tiina