Saturday, 2 May 2009

Such a Closet Case!

Remember my I'm-not-eating-any- chocolate -campaign that was supposed to last until the end of January, but then went on until Easter? Chocolate is really the only sweet I have ever craved for, and too much of even a very good thing is simply too much. I am an athlete. I don't get any younger. I want to eat a more healthy diet.

I did eat some chocolate at Easter and was very, very surprised to notice that I did not crave for more afterwards. So, I decided to go on eating less chocolate. I don't buy it for myself, but if somebody offers me some, I don't automatically decline. :) What I just realised it that the same pretty much goes with myself and meat!

I really have not thought about it. I have no ethical nor health nor even taste-related reasons for not eating meat, though I do prefer organic if possible, but I simply more often than not choose to eat vegetarian. I hardly ever buy meat and cook it at home. I do eat meat sometimes, if I have lunch at the cafeteria at work, but even there it is very rarely red meat, mostly I choose fish or chicken, and they do have some pretty good vegetarian options, too.

So, there it is. I just might be a closeted vegetarian. Phew, I've said it! Or maybe a vege-fisheterian, who sometimes has a relapse and eats white and even red meat... Actually I don't like labels. Labels are fine in your Jimmy Choo shoes or your Dolce & Gabbana jackets (for those of you that can afford the real thing, please, do not buy pirated copies of anything!!), but not on people. On that note, I might just continue on my chosen path of prefering veggies but not limiting myself to them. I like being me. I hope, you like being you, too! :)

Carrot and bean patties

Recipe by Cinnamonda. Makes about 8 patties.

10 small carrots
230 g large white beans, cooked
1 yellow onion
2 gloves of garlic
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon crushed green pepper
1 teaspoon dried coriander
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
pinch of salt
rape seed oil

1. Wash (and if necessary peel) the carrots. Crate them.
2. Crush the cooked beans.
3. Peel and chop the onion.
4. Put the crated carrots, crushed beans and chopped onion into a large bowl.
5. Crush and chop the garlic gloves and add into the bowl.
6. Add the flour and all the spices and mix.
7. Pour some rape seed oil into your hands and with oily hands form patties little smaller than the palm of your hand.
8. Put the patties onto a prepared baking sheet.
9. Cook in the oven in 250 Centigrade for about 15-20 minutes. Turn the patties upside down and let them stay in the oven for 10-15 minutes more.
10. Enjoy!

The patties go very well with some salad and a refreshing, cold sauce like this spiced, youghurt-based sauce I used:

Spiced, yoghurt-based sauce:

4 tablespoons Greek or Turkish yoghurt.
handful of fresh basil, shredded
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
pinch of salt and black pepper

1. Combine all the incredients in a jar.
2. The sauce is great with most vegetable dishes or as a salad dressing.

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An interesting recipe! These patties look delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

anya said...

Tiina, I am so with your on this 'meat or no' issue. When a craving strikes, I don't deprive myself of a piece of red meat every now and then, but on a daily basis I am not a meat-eater either. Isn't it one of those classic examples of love-hate relationship? :)

Seeing that I don't own an oven (the tragedy of my life), would the recipe work if I fry the patties? I think it would. Anyway, I will give it a try!

Cinnamonda said...

Thanks Rosa! They do taste delicious, too! :)

Anya, you are so right, the perfect example of a love-hate relationship.
And, yes, you can certainly make these patties without an oven. Just be a little careful and try not to move them too much on the frying pan at first or you will break them.

Greetings,
Tiina

Cynthia said...

One of the things I like about food blogging is the discoveries of self.

Cinnamonda said...

Discoveries of self, absolutely! And also learning new things.

Greetings,
Tiina