Saturday, 4 April 2009

Small Is Beautiful

There was a big, new supermarket opened a couple of weeks ago only a few hundred meters from where I live, and I have visited their food section a few times since, but about a week ago I checked out the upper floor where they have among other things quite a nice collection of kitchen utensils for sale. I ended up buying a very nice 5 liter steel bowl and two cute 16 cm springform cake tins. All those were put to very good use today!

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday. Up here the only palms we have sit in pots, but I wanted to bake something for tomorrow with a kind of, even if a bit far fetched, palm theme. The food section in the above mentioned new supermarket is quite good, and I bought a small jar of coconut jam there the other day. I had never seen, much less tasted, coconut jam before. I also always have coconut flakes in my cupboard as they are part of my favorite breakfast, so, the thought prosess went something like this: Palm Sunday -palms? -hmmm? -coconuts? -yes! -coconut palms! -okay! I had coconut jam, I had ococnut flakes and a pair of brand new cake tins. I decided to bake a coconut flavored layered cake.

About the layers. I have notices that for some reason in American resipes the layered cakes most often have four layeres. Here in Finland it is usually three. Don't ask me, I have no idea as to why it is so. Anyway, this time I broke with the Finnish tradition and used both of my new tins to bake two small cakes that I cut into two layers for a four layered cake. This recipe is very easy and quick, and fool proof really, as long as you whisk your eggs and sugar very well and avoid upsetting the batter by banging your whisk(s) into the sides of the bowl. You want to get two well risen cakes, don't you? This is no pancake recipe, you know. :)

Layered Coconut Cake

For the cakes:
4 eggs
2 dl sugar
2 dl wheat flour

For the filling and topping:
2 dl whipping cream
150 g coconut jam
a few tablespoons strawberry jam
coconut flakes
1/2 dl cranberry juice mixed with 1/2 dl water

1. Preheat the oven to 200 Centigrade.
2. Prepare two 16 cm springform cake tins with butter and breadcrumbs.
3. Mix eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Add flour and mix well.
5. Divide the batter into the two tins.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Let cool.
8. When the cakes have cooled down completely cut them into two layers.
9. Whip the cream.
10. Start compiling the layered cake.
  • Moisten the bottom layer with 3-4 tablespoons of the juice/water mixture. Add half of the coconut jam and some whipped cream.
  • Put the second cake layer on top of the filling. Moisten. Add some tablespoons of strawberry jam and some whipped cream.
  • The third layer is moistened and then topped with the rest of the coconut jam and some whipped cream.
  • Moisten also the top layer. Then cover the whole cake with the rest of the whipped cream. It is not necessary to smooth the cream very finely.
  • Decorate with coconut flakes.
11. En-Joy!:)

6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a cute cake! really beautiful and tempting! I love that egg too...

Thanks for your kind words...

Cheers,

Rosa

anya said...

Happy Palm Sunday! Yum! :)

On a side note: I can't believe it is Easter soon. Blimey, we are in fact knee-length in spring! Oh my...

Cynthia said...

That is a gorgeous coconut cake.

Have a blessed Holy Week.

Kevin said...

Great looking cake!

Kate- Aapplemint said...

The Cake looks delicious !!

Cinnamonda said...

Thanks all! Spring has finally arrived! :)

Greetings,
Tiina