Wednesday, 4 March 2009

Alpine Treat

While in Ljubljana, Slovenia last November I bought an interesting cookbook by Kay Shaw Nelson called Cuisine of the Alps. It includes lovely recipes from France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, Germany, Austria, and Slovenia. My favorite of the recipes I have tried this far is the recipe for red cabbage with apples. This sweet red cabbage and apple salad is a great side dish for pork, or duck for example. And look at the colour!

Red Cabbage with Apples
(original recipe from Cuisine of the Alps by Kay Shaw Nelson)

Serves 4-6

1 red cabbage, shredded (ca. 1 kg)
3/4 cup boiling water
3 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup red wine vinegar (or cider)
1/4 cup browm sugar
salt and pepper

1. In a saucepan combine the shredded cabbage and boiling water over medium-high heat. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Add the apple slices & cook for another 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl mix the butter, vinegar (or cider), and sugar & add it to the cabbage and apple mixture.
4. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 more minutes.
5. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An interesting book! I love that dish too!

Cheers,

Rosa

anya said...

Needless to say, I am making this red cabbage dish as soon as I get my hands on the vegetable! I love all sorts of cabbage so much, that weren't I named Anya, 'cabbage' would I be. :)

This photo with snowed roofs, is it of Helsinki? I like the feeling it evokes in me. I am curious of people who might be living under those roofs, their (people's) secrets and stories...

Cinnamonda said...

Yes, Rosa, it is a very nice book, a great combination of regional recipes.

Hehe, Anya! :)
No, the photo is not of Helsinki but of Ljubljana. It is the Sunday market seen from the castle mount. But thanks for the idea! We have very nice looking markets here, too. I'll go and take some pictures, but I think I'll wait until summer as there will be more sellers and more colour then.

Greetings,
Tiina