I hope everyone has got a good start for 2009. I have had a relaxing, almost a fortnight's, vacation from work with a nice combination of Christmas and New Year's family traditions and shopping therapy!
I have also had time to test some nice recipies, which I hope to post about later. Today, however, I want to share with you the recipe for my new favorite cake! It is so easy to make, and it tastes so good that you simply must try this recipe! Please do, you will not regret it! :)
Oh, and did I make any New Year's resolutions? Yes, I did. After stuffing myself with all that lovely chocolate I bought from Amsterdam and Ljubljana, plus all the lovely Finnish chocolates I ate during Christmas, I have decided... drums, please!..I have decided to have chocolate free January! Yes, you read absolutely right, I will not eat a single piece of chocolate for 31 days! :) Umm, that means, 4 days down, 27 to go...
Recipe from "Seitsemän sortin leivonnaiset" by ICA provkök.
Preheat the oven to 150 Centigrade.
For the cake you will need:
125 g liquid margarine or butter
1,5 dl sugar
1,5 dl wheat flour
0,5 teaspoon baking powder
some butter and breadcrumbs for the tin
For the icing:
3 dl icing sugar
2-4 tablespoons water or freshly pressed orange or lemon juice (I used lemon juice)
ca. 4 tablespoons candied (orange) peel in small pieces
1. Butter a round (25 cm) pie tin & prepare it with breadcrumbs.
2. Mix eggs and sugar until nicely fluffy.
3. Add flour, baking powder and margarine/butter. (If liquid margarine or equivalent is not available, melt the margarine/butter and let it cool before use.) Mix. then pour into the prepared tin.
4. Bake in the lower part of the oven for 25-30 minutes.
5. Let the cake rest for awhile, before removing it from the tin.
6. While the cake is cooling down, prepare the icing by mixing water of juice with the icing sugar. You should get a lovely, thick mixture.
7. Pour the icing onto the cake. Use a spoon or a knife to spread it evenly.
8. Decorate with candied peel.
9. Remember to let the icing harden before you cut the cake!
10. Yum- yum!!