Saturday, 17 January 2009

A Game of Gingerbread Tennis

Gingerbread cookies are very popular in Finland. A lot of them are eaten and baked during the Christmas time, but they really are something enjoyed all the year round and not just during Christmas.

I bought two packets of frozen gingerbread dough before Christmas and used one of them immediately, but for the past few days I had been pondering what to do with the other packet. Also, I happened to mention to my Dad that I might bring him something baked when we are going to meet for our weekly game of tennis tomorrow.

So, I decided on baking gingerbread cookies for my Dad, and what better than bake some gingerbread tennis rackets and balls! :) Especially, as the first Grand Slam of the tennis season is about to start in Australia. I only had a packet of pink icing sugar, so I ended up with some pink rackets and pink balls. :) And some butterflies, as that is what you propably have in your tummy before an important tennis match. Plus simply because I love my butterfly cookie cutter. :)

In case you want to try and make gingerbread all the way from making also the dough yourself Food from Finland has a recipe for Finnish style gingergread snaps. May I mention that Food from Finland is a great site, if you want to learn more about Finnish food.


And just for comparition. This is the real thing, and no, it is not pink! :) This picture I took at the 2008 French Open in Paris.

8 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very cute! Mmmhhh...

Cheers,

Rosa

Grace said...

what lovely decorating! if i had one iota of artistic ability, i'd love to use a basketball theme. :)
meanwhile, congrats on hitting one year!

anya said...

Oh flu is a nasty, nasty thing - I hope you feel better now! You know, your gorgeous tennis-themed gingerbread cookies relate absolutely to a healthy lifestyle! :)

Elra said...

Oh those buterflies are so pretty, they are too pretty to be eaten.
Cheers,
Elra

Kevin said...

Great looking gingerbread cookies!

Cynthia said...

So attractive.

Anna said...

Hello! I'm Anna and I' m from Seattle. I'm loving your blog and the cookies look so yummy! Please stop by my neck of the woods if you get a chance. I'd love to see you.

Thanks for the great recipes.

Cinnamonda said...

Thank you all for your kind words! And welcome to my blog Grace, Elra, Kevin and Anna!

Greetings,
Tiina