Thursday, 15 January 2009

1st Anniversary!

My goodness! I just realized Cinnamonda turned 1 a few days ago! It was January 13th 2008 that I posted my first post about puff pastry bundles. What fun this have been! And how time has flown! I have not always had time to post as frequently as I would have liked to, but 48 times anyway, this post included. :)

How should we celebrate? Some chocolate, maybe? Or perhaps a cake? I am still abstaining from anything chocolately, and I just posted about ambroisia cake. Hmmm... How about some nice coconut filled croissants?
Yes, coconut filled croissants it is! Easy to make, very easy to the taste buds! :)

I have used my "Seitsemän sortin leivonnaiset" cook book by ICA provkök a lot lately. Even this recipe is from that book. I have adapted the recipe just a tiny bit. In the original version milk is used instead of water, but I hardly ever have any milk at home, so, I usually substitute milk with water which I did also when baking these croissants. If you don't like coconut, feel free to use another filling, for example strawberry or raspberry jam.

Coconut croissants

makes 24

50 g fresh yeast
150 g (unsalted) butter (or margarine)
3 dl water
3/4 dl sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
ca. 1 l flour

For the filling you will need:
50 g (unsalted) butter (or margarine)
1/2 dl coconut flakes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon (Well, this is the 1st anniversary of Cinnamonda, the recipe kind of had to have some cinnamon in it! :))
grated zest of 1 orange

some egg for brushing

1. Crumble the yeast into a large bowl.
2. Melt the butter. Mix with water. Let cool to 37 degrees Centigrade.
3. Pour the mixture onto the crumbled yeast. Mix until the yeast has melted.
4. Add sugar, lightly beated egg and most of the flour.
5. Knead with your hands or with a machine until smooth. Let rise for half an hour.
6. Prepare the filling by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
7. On a floured table knead the batter a bit more.
8. Divide the batter into three parts. Using a rolling pin roll out each part of the batter into a circle of ca. 30 cm in diameter. Cut each circle into 8 triangles.
9. Place a teaspoonful of filling onto the widest part of each triangle.
10. Roll the triangles into croissants starting from tha widest end.
11. Place the croissants onto a prepared baking dish, and let rise covered with a kitchen towel for another half an hour.
12. Meanwhile heat the oven to 250 centigrade (225 if you are using a convection oven).
13. Bruch the croissants with some egg.
14. Bake in 250 (225) for 6-10 minutes.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Happy Anniversary! These Croissants look delicious! Yummy

Cheers,

Rosa

anya said...

Dear Tiina, Happy Anniversary! Here is to more!! You make croissants look seemingly easy to make. The keyword in the last line is 'seemingly', for I personally find the whole project intensily complex and complicated, for good measure. Maybe I don't yet have much practice in making them myself, as opposed to my having a lot of experience in eating them fresh at bakeries, though. :)

Alejandra said...

I just had my first anniversary too! Congrats on yours! These look really tasty and easy to make. I will keep them in mind for dinner one evening!!

Here's to another great year!

Cinnamonda said...

Thanks, Rosa! Yes, they taste very nice. :)

Thank you, Anya! These are easier to make than French style croissants as these are made of dough that you can also use to make sweet bread and buns. So, I guess you could call these also the cheater's croissants. :) :) :)

Thanks, Alejandra! It would be nice to know what you thought about them if you end up using the recipe.

Greetings from a slightly flu stricken Tiina