Thursday, 10 July 2008

Lemon Cake

I've been eating lots and lots of fruit and berries lately: nectarines, bananas, apricots, honey melons and strawberries of course. (Hmm, somehow that sounds much better than telling you that I'd been eating lots and lots of chocolate! :)) Actually I'm quite proud to say that fruit and berries have been my chocolate these past weeks.

I have also been baking quite a lot using both berries and different fruit as incredients. Yesterday I came across these really beautiful lemons and absolutely wanted to bake something using them. I googled various lemon cake/pie/tart recipes. Lemon shaker pie looked really interesting, but I did not want to wait overnight to be able to bake my cake. I also loved Lemony French Cake recipe posted by "have cake, will travel!", but in the end I decided to use my own recipe. Maybe you remember the Sunshine Cake? This is the somewhat larger lemon version:

Lemon Cake

4 eggs
2 dl brown cane sugar
2 teaspoons vanillin sugar
200 g unsalted butter
2 dl sliced almonds or almond flour
4 dl wheat flour
1-2 tablespoons crated lemon zest
1,5-2 lemons peeled & sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice or water
some breadcrumbs for the tin

1. Preheat the oven to 175 Centigrade.
2. In a mortar crush the almond slices into small crumbs. (You may also use a blender, or simply use almond flour.)
2. In a bowl beat the eggs until pale and frothy.
3. Add the sugars and continue beating.
4. Add the butter in little pieces and beat until dissolved into the egg-sugar mix.
5. Add the crushed almond slices, flour, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix.
6. Use a large cake tin with a central hole. Butter the tin and cover its insides with breadcrumbs.
7. Place thin, round slices of lemon all around that side of the tin that will be the outer side of the finished cake. The lemon slices will partly caramelize and partly form flowerlike decorative motives into the cake, plus they will add extra moisture and taste.
8. Pour the batter into the tin.
9. Bake in the middle of the oven in 175 C until a toothpick pressed into the cake comes out clean. (About 45 minutes.)

10. Let cool before removing from the tin.

Take notice that this cake is very lemony. :) I happen to like lemons. If you prefer a milder taste, use only 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and water instead of lemon juice. You may also consider leaving out the lemon slices. But if you, like I, like the taste of lemon, then this really is the cake to bake!


6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An interesting cake! Delicious looking!

Cheers,

Rosa

anya said...

As immensily much as I love chocolate, I am a fresh berries and fruits eater as of late, too.

Your lemon cake speaks to me! ;) I recently bought lemon cookies from one of my favourite bakeries, and a particular zestful lemon flavour I discovered is now haunting me (positively) both in reality and in my dreams. Oh.

Kate / Kajal said...

i've never used cane sugar in baking ... i'm intrigued by how it might taste. Have you tried palm sugar in baking ? You think substituting it cane with palm would work ?

Cynthia said...

The civilized thing to do would be to have a slice of this cake and a cup of tea but alas, the cake is there and I am here...

Cinnamonda said...

Thanks, Rosa!

I'm glad my cake speaks to you, Anya! :)

Kajal, I have not noticed much difference in taste using cane sugar. It might give the cake a bit more colour, though. Unfortunately I have not used palm sugar whan baking, so cannot say how that would work out.

Thanks, Cynthia!We'll have a virtual tea-party!:)

Greetings,
Tiina

Alisha said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com