Tuesday, 20 May 2008

You Are My Sunshine...Cake!

If blood oranges are my favorite fruit, then the "original" version comes a close second. But...if only one did not have to peel them! :)

Well, this recipe of mine I am about to share with you does include peeled oranges, but you can peel them "roughly" with a knife removing also the outer skin of the sections. It will be a juicy business, so to speak, but the end result will be delicious, I promise!:)

Sunshine Cake

2 eggs
2 dl granulated sugar
100 g unsalted butter
1,5 dl almond flour
1,5 dl wheat flour
1 tablespoon grated orangepeel
1,5-2 oranges peeled and sliced into thin slices
some more butter for buttering the cake tin & some breadcrumbs for the tin

1. Preheat the oven to 175 Centigrade
2.In a medium bowl beat the eggs until pale and frothy.
3. Add the sugar and continue beating.
4. Add the butter in little pieces and beat until dissolved into the egg-sugar mix.
5. Add the flours and orange peel and mix.
6. Use a cake tin with a central hole. Butter the tin and cover its inside with breadcrumbs.
7. Place thin, round slices of orange all around that side of the tin that will be the outer side of the finished cake. The orange slices will partly caramelize and partly form flowerlike decorative motives into the cake, plus they will add extra moisture and taste.
8. Pour the batter into the tin.
9. Bake in the middle of the oven in 175 C until a toothpick pressed into the cake comes out clean. In my oven it took about 40 minutes, but my oven is known to be a bit slow. :)

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love orange flavored cakes! Yours looks delicious!

cheers,

Rosa

maybelles parents said...

I love citrus though oddly enough I have never had orange cake. I will bookmark this. Also, have you thought about entering this in Sugar High Fridays at Tartelette?

White On Rice Couple said...

Yummm, this is totally bright and happy! Wish you were closer, you could have some blood oranges off our tree!

Hetal said...

This is so tempting....lovely recipe.

Simply...Gluten-free said...

So pretty!

Cynthia said...

I will not give in to temptation and go make this cake... I will not... :)

Cinnamonda said...

Rosa, yes, orange flavoured cakes are great! Well, I like orange flavoured anything with the exception of tea!

Maybelle's parents, I'm glad you liked my recipe & thanks for your suggestion! I was not aware of the citrus theme there. I don't think I will have time to enter this time, though.

White on Rice Couple, oh, after seeing your latest video I would definitely come knocking on your garden door begging for some of those lovely blood oranges were I in California. :)

Hetal, I'm glad you liked my recipe & thanks for stopping by my blog!

Thank you, Simply...gluten free!

Hehe, Cynthia! :) This is a good temptation to give in to!

Greetings,
Tiina