Wednesday, 28 May 2008

Daring Bakers' May Challenge: Opera Cake

This month's challenge was opera cake. The challenge was hosted by 4 DBers, namely co-foundereds Ivonne and Lis and two newer members Fran and Shea. They dedicated this month's challenge to Barbara of winosandfoodies.com who is the force behind A Taste of Yellow -blog event that supports the LiveSTRONG foundation started by Lance Armstrong.

The opera cake = a cake compiled of a joconde (=a cake layer), a syryp, a buttercream, a ganache and a glaze. And with the longest recipe I've ever seen!!
We were instructed to use light colours only and were given the option to leave out the ganache/mousse and the freedom to choose the shape of our cake and some of the flavorings. I ended up flavoring my syrup with cloudberry liqueur and the buttercream with lemon extract. I also left out the white chocolade mousse to save some time -and money. And I halved the recipe to make a smaller cake.

I did not have any particular problems when making this cake (other than my camera's battery dying after just two pictures of the finished cake & my not having any extra batteries charged at the time...), but I must confess that my choice of flavorings was maybe not very successful. The cloudberry liqueur was lost under the very powerful and v-e-r-y sweet taste of lemon in the buttercream. I am a person with a veritable sweet tooth, but that was almost too sweet for me. I ended up freezing half the cake in little pastry-sized pieces and when I defrosted the pieces they actually tasted better than the fresh cake and also the taste of lemon was less prominant. Hmmm...

I'm not sure if I will ever try this recipe again.
I am not too fond of buttercream in general. I might bake the joconde again, though, as it was really easy to make and tasted delicious, but propably not the whole cake. I am, however, glad that I did this challenge. It was an interesting project, and it was rewarding to see that, yes, I did manage to do a good job with a rather complicated or at least multiphase recipe! :)

14 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm a big fan of hearts. Love the decoration on the cake. Thank you so much for the honour.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great looking cake! You did a very good job here!

Cheers,

Rosa

Lou @ The Higher Nest said...

Ah yes, I am not a big fan of buttercream either...your cake looks great though!

anya said...

I love the shape of your cake and 'hearty' decoration, too!

I also agree some things can be too sweet even for the hopelessly sweet teeth! :)

Anyway, from what I see, I want to say you've done great! As always. ;)

Marye said...

you have done an excellent job! love the hearts.

maybelles parents said...

Oh, so wonderful. I love the idea of cloudberry. I have never had this, but the name was so lovely. And, the hearts are cute.

Shari said...

Those hearts are adorable!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Helen said...

This was definitely the hardest cake I have ever made - and how long was that recipe?! Well done for completing the challenge!

Barbara said...

cloudberry liqueur? I've never heard of that before, now I'm intrigued.

Great job on your challenge.

Claire said...

So pretty. I liked the jaconde as well.

Rebecca said...

This cake was a little sweet, but I liked the challenge. On to next month!

Dolores said...

I also enjoyed your heart-shaped decorative touch. Great job!

Debyi said...

Your cake looks great! I love the hearts on the top. Great job.

Cinnamonda said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words!

Greetings,
Tiina