Sunday, 30 March 2008

Daring Bakers' March Challenge: Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake

I've joined the Daring Bakers! This month's challenge was hosted by Morven from Food Art and Random Thoughts and she chose Dorie Greenspan's perfect party cake recipe for us to bake. The recipe is published in Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: From My Home to Yours.

Even though I'm someone who likes challenges (also in other things than baking :)) I was a bit worried before I knew what the March challenge was, as some of the previous recipies chosen were rather difficult. So, when I realised we were to bake a layered cake, I was happily surprised. This was something I could do without too much trouble, and that was good, as I did not have days to dedicate for this project. My dance partner also had his birthday this month, so I got a good reason to bake a cake. It was going to be a birthday cake for Mr Dance Partner! :)

The original recipe is for a layered citron flavored cake with a buttercream and raspberry filling and a buttercream and coconut flake coating. We were given the choice of using other fillings and could also substitute the buttercream with whipped cream. I thought that citron flovoured buttercream with a citron flavoured cake would be a bit too much and opted for the whipped cream version. I used 5 dl:s whipping cream in this cake. My filling of choice was whipped cream and strawberry jam and I coated the cake with more whipped cream. This was a fun project, and the end-product tasted pret-ty good! :)

Here are some more pictures of the cake:


26 comments:

Suzana said...

Beautiful cake! Loved the simple and elegant decoration. You did a great job on your 1st challenge - welcome to the DBs!

Jenny said...

Beautiful looking cake! Great job on your first DB's challenge!
Jenny
Picky Palate

~Amber~ said...

Your cake looks stunning! Great job.

Kate / Kajal said...

I must tell you, that is such neat icing. gr8 job.

Claire said...

Fantastic job!

Lesley said...

Great decorations, I love the "38'!

Nan said...

Mmmm, your cake has me wishing I'd used whipped cream instead of the buttercream. It was just too heavy for my taste. Congratulations on the challenge!

kimberleyblue said...

Your cake looks perfect! So pretty!

mimi said...

welcome to the db! i love the soft look of the way you decorated your cake, it's so pretty!

bombshellwithin said...

Lucky Mr. Dance Partner to get such a beautiful cake for his birthday. Welcome to DB and congrats on your first challenge which came out beautifully.

TERESA said...

Beautiful cake¡¡
I used whipped creamm too, and I think that it make the cake smoothier than the original.

Congratulations¡¡¡

TERESA

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks absolutely wonderful! A great birthday cake! Very well done!

Cheers,

rosa

Cinnamonda said...

Thank you all for your kind words and warm welcomes!

Greetings,
Tiina

Claire said...

Another welcome! A very sweet gift for Mr. Dance Partner. I love how fluffy your icing looks in the photo, with the bright strawberries.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Wow! What an amazing start as a Daring Baker! Beautiful...

anya said...

Tiina, I believe nothing won't be too challenging for you, as you are a talented and dedicated baker!!! Congrats!!

Your Mr.Dance Partner is a lucky mate!! :)

Annarasa said...

What a pretty cake!

Apu
http://annarasaessenceoffood.blogspot.com/

Big Boys Oven said...

simple and so beautiful white!

SweetDesigns said...

Welcome!! Gorgeous cake!!

Lunch Buckets said...

Really nice looking cake :) Welcome to the group!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Gorgeous cake! Great job on your first DB challenge! Welcome!

Cynthia said...

Congratulations on joining the DB group! Your first task has definitely been a huge success.

I would like to send you the egg-ball recipe but I do not have an email for you. You can email me here: tasteslikehome@gmail.com

You can substitute the coating with boiled and seasoned mashed potatoes, or yams.

White On Rice Couple said...

Yeah!!! on your first challenge! It looks so moist and.....the frosting is killing me! Lick! Lick!

maybelles mom said...

Yum, the frosting looks so good. I really enjoy whipped cream frosting and yours looks luscious.

Simply...Gluten-free said...

Wow! Beautiful. Oh, now I want some. I don't often miss flour but man, your killing me!

Cinnamonda said...

Belated thanks for you all for your kind words!

Greetings,
Tiina