Friday, 28 March 2008

Chicken Legs and Vegetables the Simplest Way Possible :)

If you have been reading my blog entries, you might have notices that the words simple and easy are mentioned quite often when I write about my favorite recipes. That is the way I like to cook. Even though sometimes it is fun to try complicated recipes, for everyday use simple and easy are, I believe, the way to go. Dividing my days between work, dance practise and tennis I do not have much time to dedicate for cooking during the weekdays, so when I do, I prefer to cook something that is easy to make. But, easy is not synonymous with bland or uninteresting. Little things can turn an ordinary dish into something special.

I'm sure most of you have a favorite recipe for chicken legs. This is mine, and it really should be called "chicken legs 101" :), as it really is one of my simple and easy recipes! Be aware of getting your fingertips yellow, though! ;)

Chicken Legs and Vegetables

Serves 3

2 small yellow onions
1 small shallot
1 carrot
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon clove powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
5 tablespoons sunflower oil
12 slices of bacon
6 chicken legs

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade.
2. Cut the shallot, carrot and yellow onions into medium and the cloves of garlic into small pieces.
3. Pour the sunflower oil into a soup plate. Add all the spices. Mix with a spoon.
4. Dip the chicken legs one by one into the spicy mixture. If you want, you may also let them marinate in it for a while, but that is not absolutely necessary.
5. Cut three good-sized squares from foil.
6. Wrap two slices of bacon around each chicken leg.
7. Put some yellow onion, shallot, garlic and carrot pieces in the middle of each foil square. Add two chicken legs per square. Close the foil rather tightly around the chicken legs and vegetables.
8. Cook in the oven in 200 degrees Centigrade for about 1 hour. Mmmm! Delicious!!

6 comments:

anya said...

The spice combination in your recipe is fantastic!!!

While I love my chicken roasted with fresh rosemary (not a novelty, I know :), I'll definitely will try your recipe. Thanks!

maybelles mom said...

yum. this is close our fast chicken recipe but we add plain yoghurt and don't use bacon.

White On Rice Couple said...

Your dishes are simple and inspiring! You always have such awesome use of spices too! It looks like it almost has a curryish flavor to it!

Priscilla said...

Simple recipes are the best! And that chicken looks delicious too!

Cinnamonda said...

You are welcome, Anya! I like rosemary, too. :)

Maybelles mom, thanks for the idea. I will try chicken with plain yoghurt some time.

Thank you, White on rice souple! And you are absolutely right, there is a curriysh flavor! :)

Thank you, Pricilla! It is delicious! :)

Greetings,
Tiina

Maine, U.S.A. said...

Hi, I used this recipe for my medieval Christmas dinner. It was great! Everyone loved how moist and delicious the chicken tasted. The combination of spices was excellent. It truly was simple to prepare. The only change I made was to quadruple the recipe and cook it in a pan, right in the oil/spice mixture, first covered with foil, then uncovered to finish. I forgot to include the bacon, but it was great nevertheless!