Thursday, 7 February 2008

Tofu and Basmati Rice with Pumpkin Seeds and Rosemary

About a week ago I bought a little potted rosemary that I have tried to nurse as well as I can. As I like rosemary a lot, I was hoping to be able to get the little plant to flourish and already dreamt of all the dishes I could season with fresh rosemary straight from the pot on my kitchen shelf. Well, it seems that either I am not a very good gardener when it comes to rosemaries or then these plants just don't last very long during winter, as my little rosemary has started to look a bit dry (I did water it!!) and I thought I better use the good parts of it here and now. As I also had this little packet of tofu sitting in a cupboard, I decided to fry it and use rosemary as part of the recipe. This is what I came up with:

Tofu and Basmati Rice with Pumpkin Seeds and Rosemary

Serves 2

350 g tofu
1 white onion
2 handfuls of pumpkin seeds
1,5 dl basmati rice
1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2-3 tablespoons soya oil
ground pepper
fresh rosemary

1. Cook the rice in 3 desilitres of water.
2. Rinse the tofu under cold water. Dry with paper towel. Cut the tofu into small pieces.
3. Chop the onion.
4. Add 1 tablespoon sunflower oil into a sauce pan. Add chopped onion and pumpkin seeds. Add 1 tablespoon of soya oli. Sauté. Remove from the sauce pan and set aside for later.
5. Using the same sauce pan (add some sunflower oil, if needed) start frying the tofu. Add some pepper, 1-2 tablespoons soya oil and leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary. Fry until the tofu is nicely golden.
6. Add the onion and seeds mix into the sauce pan. Mix.

7. Add the cooked rice. Mix again. Let stir under an almost closed lid for some minutes.
8. Serve decorated with some fresh rosemary leaves.

This dish is great for lunch or as a little something to enjoy while watching your favorite TV-show!

7 comments:

White On Rice Couple said...

Tiina, we love all the combination of flavors here. If you need any rosemary, we've got TONS growing in our garden. We'll gladly send you some (if it's OK to ship plants internationally). :)

anya said...

I love your recipe and will use it when rice is on my way next time!! ;)

Cinnamonda said...

White on rice couple, you are so generous! And your garden must be lovely! (I saw the pictures on your site) I guess there might be some restrictions on shipping plants abroad, though. I do have fresh rosemary readily available in several stores near me, just cannot nurse it at home, it seems...Well, I'll just buy a bunch, when I need it.

Anya, I'm happy you like the recipe. Please let my know what you thought of the taste, if you make this.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great rice dish! Healthy and tasty!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cinnamonda said...

Thank you, Rosa! It is a tasty combination. :)

Greetings,
Tiina

M&Ms... said...

hi, first visit to your site. The tofu rice looks and sounds fantastic! Have to try it soon.

Cinnamonda said...

m&ms, thanks for stopping by! Let my know how you liked it, if you try my recipe.

Greetings,
Tiina