Sunday, 24 February 2008

Three Fruit Spaghetti

I've been leafing through Nigel Slater's wonderful, wonderful book "The Kitchen Diaries" lately. The book is so full of recipes I would like to try that I don't know where to start, but in additiond to the recipes, what really got me hooked, was the very first lines of the introduction (The Kitchen Diaries, p. vii):

"Right food, right place, right time... this is the best recipe of all."

Could it be said any better? No, it couldn't. That kind of sums everything up. That is the motto I want to live by. That is the motto I want to keep in mind every time I cook anything. Right food, right place, right time. An elaborate meal or a quick snack, good, red Bordeaux or water from the tap, 500 ml of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food eaten straight from the container or a fruit salad composed of homegrown, organic fruit. There is the time and place for everything. Although, in my case, it is not always the most obvious time and place...

This should be the heart of winter (at least according to the calender, if not weatherwise just now) and shouldn't I be craving for hearty, fullfilling meals, red meat, potatoes, lovely, creamy soups, warm chocolately pies and tarts with heaps of whipped cream on top? Ok, I'm ALWAYS craving for warm chocolately pies and tarts, but my point is, what I really wanted to cook the other day, was, once again, something really summery, well suited for a lunch eaten outside in the sun on a lovely July afternoon when the temperature is nearer to +25 or even +30 C than zero. Hmm, maybe I'm just really looking forward to summer...

Three Fruit Spaghetti

Serves 2-3

170 g spaghetti of your choice
1 red apple
1 orange
1 ripe avocado
100 g ricotta
a big handful of thai basil
a pinch of salt
ground pepper
some olive oil

1. Cook the pasta in salty water.
2. While the pasta is cooking peel the orange and avocado, and cut them into small cubes. Don't peel the apple, just wash it properly and cut into small cubes. Shred the thai basil leaves with your fingers.
3. When the pasta is ready (don't overcook it!) drain it and set into a large bowl.
4. Sprinkle the pasta with some olive oil. Add the fruit cubes, the basil and the ricotta. Mix well.
5. Season with ground pepper.
6. Serve immediately.

The three fruit pasta is best served at once as the idea is to only cook the pasta and add fresh fruit. I would recommend to eat any leftovers cold, as you will not necessarily want to eat your pasta with cooked apples the next day! ;)

12 comments:

anya said...

I fully agree on 'Right Food, Right Place, Right Time' motto! It's just like be 'in the moment' every moment of your life!!

What a fantastic and smart idea to eat spaghetti with fruits!! Thanks for inspiration!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Extremely original! That combination souds really interesting!

Cheers,

Rosa

Kate / Kajal said...

hehe could drizzle some honey over it and serve it as gourmet dessert !!!

Simply...Gluten-free said...

So pretty. I am going to try with gluten-free pasta.

Carmen said...

wow wonderful recipe thanks

Dhanggit said...

oh i love this pasta!! the idea is soo fresh and sweet...

Cinnamonda said...

Thank you all for your kind words!
And Kajal, hehe, don't give me such ideas! :) I might just do that dessert version next! :D

Greetings,
Tiina

Priscilla said...

Ooh, looks yummy...pasta is a dish hard to beat!

maybellesmom said...

oh, what a good idea. love it.

White On Rice Couple said...

That's what we love about your cooking, you are always adding fresh layers to your dishes. The addition of 3 fruits looks delicious!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

When I read the name of this recipe, I thought: "What!" Then I started reading the ingredients and it makes a lot of sense. Well done, for trying things outside the box.

Cinnamonda said...

Thank you Pricilla, Maybellesmom, White on Rice Couple and Nina! As odd as the combination of pasta and fruit may seem it really works very, very well!:)

And Pricilla and Nina, welcome to my blog!

Greetings,
Tiina