"Right food, right place, right time... this is the best recipe of all."
Could it be said any better? No, it couldn't. That kind of sums everything up. That is the motto I want to live by. That is the motto I want to keep in mind every time I cook anything. Right food, right place, right time. An elaborate meal or a quick snack, good, red Bordeaux or water from the tap, 500 ml of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food eaten straight from the container or a fruit salad composed of homegrown, organic fruit. There is the time and place for everything. Although, in my case, it is not always the most obvious time and place...
This should be the heart of winter (at least according to the calender, if not weatherwise just now) and shouldn't I be craving for hearty, fullfilling meals, red meat, potatoes, lovely, creamy soups, warm chocolately pies and tarts with heaps of whipped cream on top? Ok, I'm ALWAYS craving for warm chocolately pies and tarts, but my point is, what I really wanted to cook the other day, was, once again, something really summery, well suited for a lunch eaten outside in the sun on a lovely July afternoon when the temperature is nearer to +25 or even +30 C than zero. Hmm, maybe I'm just really looking forward to summer...
Three Fruit Spaghetti
170 g spaghetti of your choice
1 red apple
1 ripe avocado
100 g ricotta
a big handful of thai basil
a pinch of salt
some olive oil
1. Cook the pasta in salty water.
2. While the pasta is cooking peel the orange and avocado, and cut them into small cubes. Don't peel the apple, just wash it properly and cut into small cubes. Shred the thai basil leaves with your fingers.
3. When the pasta is ready (don't overcook it!) drain it and set into a large bowl.
4. Sprinkle the pasta with some olive oil. Add the fruit cubes, the basil and the ricotta. Mix well.
5. Season with ground pepper.
6. Serve immediately.
The three fruit pasta is best served at once as the idea is to only cook the pasta and add fresh fruit. I would recommend to eat any leftovers cold, as you will not necessarily want to eat your pasta with cooked apples the next day! ;)