Sunday, 10 February 2008

Pomegranate and Citrus Fruit Salad

I've been thinking about food and colour quite a lot lately. The world of food is so full of wonderful incredients in such wonderful hues of all the rainbow. As I have also been eating quite a lot of fruit salads in these past few weeks, it was only natural that I wanted my salads to be colourful! If its gray outside, let my plate be sunny and bright!

In this salad I used oranges and sweeties (also called oroblancos), but you could choose any two citrus fruit you like, just choose two with different colour. Also instead of roasted chestnuts, you could use rosted pecans or hazelnuts.

Pomegranate and Citrus Fruit Salad

Serves 2

2 oranges
1 sweetie
2 handfuls pomegranate seeds (=about 1/2 pomegranate)
some roasted chestnuts
2-4 tablespoons Turkish or Greek yoghurt
cinnamon

1. Peel the oranges. Cut each section into 3-4 parts. Set into a bowl.
2. Cut the sweetie into two halves. Using a grape fruit spoon remove the juicy pulp from the sections. Add into the bowl with the pieces of orange.
3. Cut the pomegranate into two and remove the seeds from one part. Add into the bowl.
4. Add some small pieces of roasted chestnuts. Mix.
5. Divide the salad into two deep plates or bowls.
6. Spoon 1-2 tablespoonfuls of Turkish or Greek yoghurt into both bowls.
7. Decorate the yoghurt with some cinnamon.
8. Enjoy!


8 comments:

anya said...

I'm very very very very much partial to fruit salads as well!! Being a girl with 'sweet teeth' (instead of one sweet tooth) fruit(salads) is my ultimate desert at a late weekday dinner. I love the combination of flavours you're suggesting here!

Kate / Kajal said...

what a wonderful, refreshing and colourful looking salad. I absolutely adore fruit salads , at any time of the day. Even more if they have some nuts in them :) an excellent way to add n crunch and healthy too.

Annemarie said...

I love the sound of this - crunchy and sweet and just a bit nutty. I agree about the colorful factor, too - much more of a pick-me-up than the winter root vegetables and cabbages on your plate!

White On Rice Couple said...

Ok, we're out of pomegranates now! We used the ones on our tree for cocktails- we such drunkards! Why did you not post this earlier? We could have had something really healthy to eat, instead of drink !

Cinnamonda said...

Anya, I too have more than one sweet tooth!:) This salad is good as candy, but so much healthier.

Kajal, yes, the juiciness of the fruit & the crunchiness of the nuts is something that I like a lot in this particular salad. Well, I guess, I like nuts with anything!

Annemarie, exactly! And especially oranges, they are like little suns on one's plate!:)

Heh!:) White on rice couple, I hope you enjoyed your coctails!;) Is there anything you do not have growing in your garden?

Greetings,
Tiina

White On Rice Couple said...

There's so much that is missing from our garden, but we have much of the more common edibles. Don't know if it's possible or how long it takes, but if we could we would ship you some of our garden goodies! Is shipping fruits/vegetables overseas possible?

Cinnamonda said...

White on rice couple, I don't know for sure what the regulations are, but there are restrictions on shipping in food products from outside the EU. But if I ever happen to visit your side of the globe, I just might ask for a little tour in your garden! :)

Greetings,
Tiina

White On Rice Couple said...

That's what we thought. We shipped some of the flowering tea to a blogging friend in Ireland. Don't know if thats OK or not, but it's in the mail anyway! Thanks for the info and you are always welcome to our garden Give us a shout when you're in town.