Thursday, 14 February 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! On a day celebrating love and friendship, what would be better than serving your loved ones some extra chocolately, extra spongy -and extra easy-to-make -chocolate cake? This is a recipe I and my friends grew up with. We all ate "mocca squares" or "chocolate square" as they were called, when we were young teens, and most of us also baked them. They were probably one of the first things I ever baked in my life.

I and two friends Merja and Mirja had a foodclub meeting (more about that later :)) last Saturday at Merja's, and she had chosen "chocolate squares" as a dessert. Yours truly was put in charge of making the dessert and it was such a pleasurable job to do that I repeated the process at home the next day!:) I must admit the delicious taste of the "squares" had someting to do with it! The recipe I used at Merja's was one she had clipped out off some magazine. At home I modified the recipe very slightly to bake this chocolate cake:

Chocolate Cake

For the cake you'll need:

3 eggs
2,5 dl sugar
4,5 dl wheat flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used Green & Black's organic cocoa)
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons vanilla sugar (you may also use vanillin sugar)
1,5 dl water (you may also use milk)
150 g liquid vegetable oli product for baking (or melted margarin)

For the frosting:

100 g
liquid vegetable oli product for baking (or melted margarin)
3 tablespoons
cocoa powder (I used Green & Black's organic cocoa)
3 teaspoons vanilla sugar
(you may also use vanillin sugar)
2 tablespoons Amaretto syrup
250 g confectioners' sugar

1. Mix the eggs and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer.
2. In another bowl mix the dry ingredients.
3. Add the dry ingredients int
o the eggs and sugar mix. Mix properly. Add the liquid vegetable oli product (or melted margarin) and mix.
4. Pour the batter into a greaseproof paper covered baking pan with high sides (circa 20 x 25 x 5 cm) or use a cake tin with a removable bottom.
5. Bake in 200 C for approximately 15 minutes.
6. Let cool.


7. To make the frosting mix all the ingredients into a smooth paste. Spread on top and over the sides of the cake.
8. Set into the fridge overnight to let the frosting settle.


This cake is very, very rich, so eat cautiously! :) For a nice variation slice a peeled apple into small cubes, add some Greek yoghurt and a thin slice of the chocolate cake. The sourness of yoghurt and apple make a very good contrast to the sweet yumminess of the cake.

6 comments:

anya said...

Tiina, you are a goddess of baking!! Happy Valentine's Day to you too!!

P.S. I'm so curious to hear about your foodclub! ;)

Alejandra said...

This look SO incredible! I love amaretto anything so I already know it's a winner. Happy Valentine's Day!

White On Rice Couple said...

Happy Hearts Day to you too. We actually wait to celebrate today because the today, the 15th is our 12 year anniversary!!

Cinnamonda said...

Anya thanks! The foodclub post is up.

Thank you Alejandra! I agree, I'm yet to taste something with amaretto that I did not like!

Very happy anniversary to you, White on rice couple!

Greetings,
Tiina

Kate / Kajal said...

all of last week i was desperately looking for a chocolate cake recipe that uses oil. Cant believe i missed this ... now i cant wait to give this a try.
Hope u had a wonderful valentine.

Cinnamonda said...

Kajal, this cake can be made with butter or margarine or with different oils. The version you see in my post was baked using a margarine like liquid vegetable oil product that left the frosting softer. I've also made this cake using sunflower oil and then the forsting hardens more and is smoother, like in the picture taken during my foodclub meeting in my post 16.2. Both versions are yummy! :) On Valentine's Day I had a very nice dinner in a very nice restaurant with some friends, so, yes, I had a very nice V.D. indeed. :)

Greetings,
Tiina