Saturday, 16 February 2008

Foodclub Meeting February 9th












I belong to a foodclub. The members of the club are myself and three of my friends. Once in every six weeks or so we gather together to cook and eat a meal. In December I played the host, the theme was French cuisine, and we managed to cook duck filets with raspberry sauce in my small kitchen and with my grill-less oven. It was a challenge, but the end result was delicious!:)
Last weekend three of us gathered at Merja's house to cook some Indian food. The unwritten rules of the club are that the host chooses a theme and the recipes. The others will be told the theme in advance, but the recipes will be revealed only at the meeting.
This was the menu Merja had chosen for us to cook:
  • Red Lentil and Carrot Soup
  • Chicken in Spiced Coconut
  • Aromatic Pilau
  • Mixed Vegetable Bhaji
  • Chocolate Squares
I was put in charge (actually I volunteered :)) of the (not very Indian) dessert department, while Merja and Mirja started with the soup. Both the soup and the dessert were prepared without any problems, and in no time a large baking pan full of chocolately goodness was in the fridge to cool down and lovely, spicey fumes were rising from the soup pot. At this point we all were already so hungry that we decided on eating the soup right away and only then continue making the main course!

Here you can see what the soup looked like:















After strenghtening ourselves with this lovely, golden soup we were ready to cook the rest of our menu. Merja prepared the pilau, while Mirja worked on the mixed vegetable bhaji, and I with the chicken. Except for some spice related mishaps :) (No, it was not I toucing my face after slicing some chillies this time! I did slice some chillies, though, but wore plastic bags in my hands just to be extra careful! :)) everything went really well.

In this picture Mirja is stirring the chicken:















Merja's rendition of aromatic pilau:














The mixed vegetable bhaji:















The whole main course:















I liked all the dishes we cooked and really fell in love with the taste of coriander once again! But we still had the dessert to taste. I have already written about our history with chocolate or mocca squares in my Valentine's Day post, so I will just say that, oh boy, oh boy, wasn't that an extra rich chocolate dessert! :)















Thanks Merja for choosing a lovely menu for us to cook! And for Merja and Mirja both for a lovely evening! Next meeting is scheduled for April, and the theme will be Spain! Olé!

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

How wonderful! A great event! I'm also part of a foodie group...

Cheers,

Rosa

anya said...

It's just sooooo, soooooo...I can't even put my excitement after reading your post into words!! :)

Cinnamonda said...

Rosa and Anya, thanks. Yes, it's always fun to cook with friends, isn't it?

Greetings,
Tiina