Friday, 22 February 2008

Coconut and Almond Cookies

Well folks, to celebrate just because it's Friday and today was such a nice, sunny day and weekend with all its promises of lovely relaxation...or hmm, in my case work on Saturday:) ... looms ahead, let's bake some cookies! This is my slightly altered version of a super easy recipe from ICA Provkök's cookbook "Seitsemän sortin leivonnaiset" that I have mentioned before here.

Anyone interested in knowing what some basic ingredients used in this recipe are called in Finnish?

Ok, here comes:

coconut = kookospähkinä
almond = manteli
sugar = sokeri
wheat flour = vehnäjauho

And in case you are not familiar with the letter ä, it is pronounced like the a in "that" or "cat". And any two identical vowels one after the other make a loooong sound. :)

Coconut and Almond Cookies

Pre-heat the oven to 175 C

For 1 full baking sheet of cookies you will need:

50 g unsalted butter
1 dl granulated sugar
1 tablespoon light-coloured syrup (I used my favorite = Amaretto syrup)
1/3 dl cream
1 dl coconut flakes
1 dl almond flakes
1/2 dl wheat flour

1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and let it cool a little.
2. Mix all other incredients in a bowl. Add melted butter. Mix with a spoon until smooth.
3. With a teaspoon spoon little heaps of batter onto a greaseproof paper covered baking sheet.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are nicely brown.
5. Let the cookies cool before moving them from the baking sheet. The cookies may still have soft centers when you take them from the oven. That is ok. They harden as they cool down.

If you want to make your cookies a little more special, dip them half way to melted chocolate. Let dry before eating.

Have a lovely weekend!

6 comments:

Annemarie said...

Coconut and almond is a great combination. I was thinking of making some cookies this weekend - thanks for a recipe idea!

anya said...

Today I got coconut flakes produced in Sri Lanka and just couldn't help but enjoying a few teaspoonfuls plain right away...Yum! ;)

Your recipe is so good! Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia said...

I just want to nibble all around each cookie and leave the center in tack! I know! (lol)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and helping me to discover yours. Looking forward to seeing you around.

Cinnamonda said...

Annemarie, I'm glad to be of assistance. Hope you cookies turned out well!

Thanks, Anya! What are you going to do with your Sri Lankan coconut flakes?

Hehe, Cynthia! That's exactly what I did with a couple of those cookies!:) Thank you very much for visiting my blog!

Wintergreetings,
Tiina

Kiriel du Papillon said...

Mmm... I just love coconut and especially baked in a cookie. Definitely have to steal this recipe!

Cinnamonda said...

Kiriel du papillon, welcome to my blog! Yes, these cookies are yummy! :)

Greetings,
Tiina