Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Sour Milk Cake









There is a very special "new" addition among the cook books in my kitchen. "New" because the book has actually already reached the ripe old age of 75 years! It is a copy of the Finnish cook book classic "Kotiruoka" that my grandmother used most of her life. The book later belonged to my mother and some weeks ago I asked my father whether I could borrow the book. He happily gave it to me.





















"Kotiruoka" literally means home food. It is a collection of basic recipes from which generations of Finns have learned how to cook and bake. The first edition was printed in 1908. My copy is 13th edition, printed in 1933. And the book, updated many times over the years of course, is still in print. The 68th edition came out in 2005!
My book is all battered in use, some pages are loose, and the spine stays together with the help of lots of tape, but all the recipes are there, almost 400 pages of them, usually 2 recipes a page. The language is old fashioned. There is no mention of baking temperatures or times and sugar, cream and butter are used quite a lot! I simply love the book! It is on the one hand an interesting peek into the kitchens of generations past, on the other a still very useful collection of recipes.
Sour milk cake is something that my grandmother baked often when I was little. Here is my updated version based on a recipe I found in "Kotiruoka". The original recipe is actually for a buttermilk cake. If you don't find any sour milk -or buttermilk, plain yoghurt or creame fraiche can be used just as well.

Sour Milk Cake

1,5 dl sour milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 dl granulated sugar
1 dl Amaretto syrup
1 smashed banana (1-1,5 dl)
1 dl melted butter
3 dl wheat flour

1. Melt the butter.
2. Smash the banana with a fork.
3. Mix all ingredients in the order they are mentioned above.
4. Pour the batter into a well buttered cake mould.
5. Bake in 180 C for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes.
7. Remove the cake from the mould.
8. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Kate / Kajal said...

surprisingly i've never seen soir milk in any of the supermarkets around here. Is there any way u can make some at home ? what is it ...milk with some sour yogurt ??
The books looks like an Antique piece , make sure u ass it down to your kids :)

Cinnamonda said...

Hi Kate!

Thanks for visiting my blog!
Sour milk is a traditional soured milk product usually used as a drink here in Finland. In the past souring was a way to make milk stay drinkable longer. Sour milk is made by adding souring agents into pasteurized and homogenized milk. Actually yoghurt is made the same way, only different souring agents are used. I have never tried to make sour milk at home, but I've read that you can make sour milk by adding some lemon juice or vinegar to regular milk (1 teaspoon to 1,5 dl milk should be enough) and letting it be for 5 minutes. I have no idea, though, if the end result resembles the sour milk we can buy in any supermarket here. I guess, I have to test this and tell you later how it went! In my recipe the sour milk can very well be substituted with plain yoghurt, buttermilk or creme fraiche.

Tiina

Pille said...

I love cookbooks like that - books with history, and great comforting recipes! Hapupiimakook is something we eat here in Estonia, too..

Cinnamonda said...

Hi Pille! Thanks for visiting my blog! Yes, old (cook) books are something special, aren't they? I guess the sour milk you use in Estonia is pretty similar, if not exactly like, what we use this side of the gulf. You know for sure the possibilites for misunderstandings between Finns and Estonians when talking about piimä (sour milk in Finnish) and piima (milk in Estonian)? ;-)

Tiina

White On Rice Couple said...

What a treasure this cookbook is! When we're ready to try this recipe, we'll try our hands at making the sour milk. If that doesn't work, there's always buttermilk !