It all started in Paris from the divine clafoutis aux cherises served as part of the breakfast buffet in Hotel Eiffel Kennedy in the 16th arrondissement. It was, unbelievable but true, the first time I ever tasted French style cherry pie, and it was love at first bite!
Some days later back home in Finland I googled the net for clafoutis recipes. What I found was not only more cherry pie recipes I could ever hope for, but a whole new world of -food blogs! That was last June. Since then I’ve become an avid follower of a number of food blogs and finally, after some gentle pressure by a couple of my friends (Hi there! You know who you are! :) ) I decided to try blogging myself. So, here goes…
Let’s start, not with clafoutis, though, but with one of my favorite desserts: puff pastry bundles. These are really easy to make, especially if you buy your puff pastry frozen, and even easier, if the pastry comes in ready-made sheets.
Puff Pastry Bundles
2 20 cm x 20 cm sheets of puff pastry
1 small (Golden Delicious) apple or ½ of a larger one
handful of raisins
3 tablespoons liquid vegetable oil product or butter
3 tablespoons oat flakes
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried mint
some slighty beaten egg for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 225˚ C.
- Mix the vegetable oil product (or butter), oat flakes, sugar, lemon juice and spices with a spoon in a small bowl.
- Slice the apple into thin slices.
- Cover a baking sheet with greaseproofed paper and place the puff pastry squares onto it.
- Divide the oat flakes mixture, apple slices and raisins between the two pastry squares.
- Moisten the edges of the pastry squares with water in order to make them stick together better.
- Turn the corners of the squares towards the middle and pinch them together tightly with your fingers.
- Brush the bundles with slightly beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes (or until beautifully golden)
Serve the bundles on their own or with some vanilla ice cream. One bundle makes small treats for four or one big treat for someone with a very achy sweet tooth!